What Are The Best Longboards For Beginners ?
First of all, before purchasing one of those longboards for beginners, I invite you to take into considerations all the recommendations stated below: What makes an excellent beginner longboard ?
There are 4 recommendations that you should not ignore!
1. The board has to be stable during your rides which will give more confidence at the beginning.
2. The longboard has to be large and long enough so that you will feel comfortable. It’s important to have this criteria because it will accelerate your learning process.
3. One of the first thing you want to look at is how durable the longboard is going to be. Especially when you’re a beginner, you want to find a longboard that will endure all the shocks and damages that you will cause during your riding sessions. Soft wheels and smooth bearing will help accelerate your learning (process) and you’ll gain experience faster.
4. You want to look for a longboard that is reasonably cheap because it would be not worth it to buy an expense one since you don’t have enough experience. You’re not going see much of a difference.
Tips For Beginner Longboarders
Learning the basics first!
For some of you, it seems to be obvious but many people are inpatient and want to ride as the one you see on Youtube riding at an unbelievable speed! Get inspired! I’ll advise you to watch videos, movies and to read longboard magazines on how to longboard. You can start right away with the video we have posted below. Ride with your friends that might be interested, it would be a good way to improve your skills by sharing your knowledge.
Purchases safety equipments
I strongly advise you to wear an helmet especially as you’re a beginner longboarder. Learning to longboard involves fast speeds, trials and erros. Indeed, there are hundreds of cool helmets out there and it’s always recommended to buy one from a reputable merchant to ensure its reliability. I’ll probably do an article about it in the near future. It’s also wise to look into getting knee pads, elbow pads or wrist guards. Consequently, you’ll feel more confident when you’re going to be riding and you’ll be more tempted to do tricks and so on. Wrist guards will help protect you from breaking your wrists if you happen to fall on them.
44″ QUEST Bamboo Super Cruiser Longbaord
This longboard is the most popular and affordable longboard for all the cruisers who are willing to ride for their first time. Thanks to its multi-ply hardwood maple and its beautiful artisan bamboo deck, this super cruiser longboard is very smooth while riding and gives you a flowy feeling and a very precise turning point response. Its material is shaped to perform and to last for a while. However, you may want to consider that the longboard is stiff, but will become more flexible as you use it.
Style: 44″ Artisan Bamboo Longboard
Deck: 7 Ply Super Flex Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck
Trucks: 7-inch aluminum trucks
Bearings: ABEC 7 bearings
Atom Drop-Through Longboard
ATOM is a company that is renowned for making excellent beginner longboards and the 91047 drop though is one the best. ATOM proposes different colors (click for more details) and sizes (36, 38 and 41 inches) for its drop-through longboard. The deck is very low from the ground which mean that it has a low center of gravity. If you’re a beginner, you will certainly appreciate this longboard because of its stability. If you’re interested in downhill rides, long distance riding or just kicking around campus, this drop-through longboard is an excellent choice. Futhermore, the deck is composed of a full maple laminate deck and disposed of a high quality 80S grip tape for maximum traction. It includes also an ABEC 9 bearings with high-speed lubricant.
- Style: 36″, 38″, 41″ Drop-Through Longboard and High quality 80S grip tape.
- Deck: Full maple laminate deck.
- Trucks: Reverse King Pin (RKP) longboard trucks (245mm axles).
- Bearings: ABEC 9 bearings with high-speed lubricant.
- Wheels: Wide-Lip 70x51mm super high rebound (SHR) urethane wheels.
KROWN MAPLE PINTAIL LONGBOARD
The classic pintail longboard is made out of Canadian maple which is considered as very sturdy. However, this material is significantly heavier than bamboo or birch for instance. with 6-inch silver trucks (that are very agile) and small black 65mm 78A wheels, this board is clearly designed for cruising and carving. Thanks to its characteristics, the pintail board is easy to ride and control. The spacious deck has turned it one of the most stable longboard for beginners. Furthermore, Krown offers many different colors, drawings and patterns to suit your preferences.
- Style: 43″ Maple Pintail Longboard
- Deck: Full maple deck + black grip tape
- Trucks: 6″ Silver Trucks
- Bearings: ABEC-7
- Wheels: Black 65mm 78a wheels
Rimable Drop-through Longboard
- Style: 44″ Maple drop-through longboard
- Deck: Full maple laminated deck + black grip tape
- Trucks: Drop-through 7 inches aluminium truck
- Bearings: ABEC-11
- Wheels: 70*51mm Pu wheels with 85A hardness
ATom Pintail Longboard (39″)
- Style: 39″ atom pintail longboard
- Deck: 39″ maple laminate drop through deck
- Trucks: 8.5″ Aluminum Trucks
- Bearings: ABEC 5
- Wheels: 65mm rock hard wheels
Ten Toes | Emporium Zed Bamboo Longboard
- Style: 44″ bamboo and maple hybrid cruising longboard
- Deck: 44″ bambo deck and kick tail
- Trucks: Rugged and lightweight 7″ aluminum trucks
- Bearings: ABEC-7
- Wheels: Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels
Volador 42″ Freeride Longboard
- Style: 42″ Volador drop-through camber longboard
- Deck: Multi-ply hardwood maple camber deck
- Trucks: Drop-through 7-inch aluminum trucks
- Bearings: Genuine ABEC 7
- Wheels: 70mm diameter | 51mm wide
Following the recommendations stated at the beginning of the articles, longboarding can be enjoyable right away! As you have seen all those beginner longboards have different specificities, some of longboards are more for cruising, freestyle or downhill purposes. Also, you can certainly be sure that all the longboards selected here are durable, stable, large enough and very affordable in price.
In addition, if you’re already an intermediate longboarder and want to go to the next level and try more advanced longboards: here is a full review of the best longboard brands on the market: check that out!